Mobile Edge POCs (M-CORD) promises to transform the mobile network from a dumb pipe into a smart centric pipes, allowing operators to achieve considerable opportunities for edge services with cloud based economy and cost-savings. With M-CORD, operators and their partners can tap to new, localized high-margin revenue streams offering services such as gaming, Streaming, IOT, Safety, Big Data Analytics, Mobile Health, Education , Smart cities, vehicular, and much more with an improved QoE, and agility.
This can be achieved because, with M-CORD commoditization of open source components and interfaces will provide for a level playing field and provides alternative path for all innovators from SOC vendors to application developers to provide solutions in equal terms.
It is believed that open platforms such as Mobile-CORD assembles the key cross-industry stakeholders – Service providers, MVNOs, equipment providers, software vendors and industry bodies – necessary to take road to 5G from the lab into main streams.
Strategies, Opportunities and Challenges
Virtualize Partition-able Service Environment at the Edge of the Network
- Ensure that Mobile-CORD platforms and applications are sufficiently open,
- Role in the benefits of open-platforms, commodity hardware, SDN/NFV, micro services architecture to achieve autonomousity
- Architectect for the future beyond 4G America, NGMN, ESTI MEC, and 3GPP release road maps
Re-tool Central Offices to Offer Edge Services Cost-Effectively
- Customers Self-portal to program their services, policies and dynamics
- Potential deployment scenario for M-CORD and how the CORD based solutions can be combined into one killer business case for virtual environments at the edge.
Leverage Dense Multi-RAN Dynamics to Tackle Capacity Crunch
- Dealing with ballooning capacity demands is perhaps network operators’ single biggest challenge: understand the scale of the problem and the role the RAN can play in addressing this.
- Type of data available within the RAN, from real-time radio conditions to the precise location of subscribers, as well as the technical and legal implications of exposing this.
- Show Benefit of Edge applications, including traffic optimization apps and transparent edge caching, can help to optimise backhaul without any degradation in subscriber QoE.
- Business benefits that RAN data/analytics can bring to 3rd-party content providers and CDNs.
Leverage SDN/NFV to Offer Low-Delay Services
- Importance of disaggregated functions as SDN ready control Applications
- Requirements of sensory/IOT applications and apply local edges SDN/NFV controls within the wider mobile network environment.
- Adapt dynamic analytics and observability as a service to control applications
- Gain an overview of the key network services that M-CORD enables on site at enterprises and venues, as well as in remote
Demonstration Use Case
M-CORD for Healthcare Facilities
M-CORD with enabled health VNF services, potentially could provide exceptional indoor mobile communications for doctors, nurses, emergency responders, patients and their families.
Prime objective for M-CORD at healthcare facilities are to enable the health care staff to provide high-quality and consistently available connectivity to enable new innovation in health status monitoring, management and control aspects.
In this venue, it will provide connected caregivers, patients, and staff improve workflows, communications, and knowledge sharing between people and systems, enabling the healthcare organization to meet or exceed performance metrics and guidelines for real-time mobile health practices. Moreover, as a critical infrastructure, connectivity at the hospital provides a community benefit for essential services during untoward events such as natural disasters or other emergencies. Customizable service edge for caregivers, patients, and staff improve workflows, communications, and knowledge sharing between people and inter hospital systems, enabling the healthcare organization to meet or exceed performance metrics and guidelines for real-time mobile health practices.
M-CORD for Massive IOT
M-CORD brings wireless network elements such as low-powered wireless antennas and access points closer to the patients, doctors to ensure ubiquitous and high-capacity wireless broadband connectivity no matter what the situation may be. From preventive educational use cases to critical IOT sensors that alerts the health care providers with the information they need to do a better job taking care of their patients. M-CORD also offers a less obtrusive and aesthetically more viable self-managed sensory control options for environmental as well as hospital equipment patient monitoring connectivity with the potential for everything connected solutions.
M-CORD Network Slicing for Critical Infrastructure
In addition, Service providers extended managed M-CORD features such as network slicing for critical infrastructure, including public safety, Educational facilities, hospital, and critical infrastructures. It can provides a community benefit for essential services during untoward events such as natural disasters or other emergencies.