VOLTHA Project Overview
Flexible and agile service adaptation at the cost of commodity servers and whitebox switches VOLTHA introduces the next-generation optical access system architecture, based on SDN/NFV technologies. Disaggregating PON functions to functional modules with open interfaces supports the CORD vision for open source reference implementations to service "Access-as-a-Service" use cases. VOLTHA is a virtual OLT hardware abstraction component that supports the CORD Project objective of multi-vendor, multi-domain "any broadband access as a service" reference implementation for the Central Office. VOLTHA provides isolation between an abstract (vendor agnostic) PON management system, and a set of vendor-specific and white-box PON hardware devices. On its north-bound interface, VOLTHA provides a set of abstract APIs which north-bound systems can interact with the PON networks. On its south-bound side, VOLTHA communicates with PON hardware devices using vendor-specific protocols and protocol extensions through adapters.
Technical Steering Team
The Technical steering team is in the process of being formed. Information about the formation process can be found here.
Release and Project Management
Working as an open source community team
- The intended host of this project is the CORD project (opencord.org).
- All source code to be developed via the gerrit system of opencord.
- All parts of VOLTHA will be managed as one git repository (any proprietary plugin code by vendors will be kept in separate repos/places).
- All project documentation must be kept with the git repository (preferably as markdown (*.md) files, with drawings created with preferably Inkscape (has to be editable and PNGs can be redesigned).
- All major changes, decisions, etc., must be done with VOLTHA TST approvals, and pursuant of the CORD project governance rules.
VOLTHA Release Acceleration
- Agile + Continuous Integration - Mandatory Test Driven Development
- Single source code repo with automated build
- Transparency - Everyone should know what is going on
- Design Specs for all major new features - get the team engaged for cross functional support on features (dev, test, doc etc)
- WIKI is the main source of true for documentation, not google docs
- All contributions upstream tracked in JIRA and linked to Gerrit
- Keep JIRA up-to-date to avoid duplication of efforts or gaps in sprint deliverables
Release Model and Cadence
VOLTHA will follow the CORD release model, branching, versioning and tagging best practices found here: Release Management
VOLTHA Release Plans and Release Notes
|Component / Feature||Release Date||Release Notes||Comments|
|VOLTHA v1.0.0||Sep 12, 2017||VOLTHA v1.0.0 Release Notes||Major release focuses new features and feature enhancements for AT&T POC III requirements building on previous POC I/II features functionality.|
|VOLTHA v1.1.0||Oct 6, 2017||N/A|
Minor release focuses on inclusion of Edge-core ASFvOLT16 XGS-PON OLT Adapter.
ASFvOLT16 design based on Broadcom Maple PON MAC silicon supporting 16x XFP ports of XGS-PON or NG-PON2 (10Gb/10Gb) and four QSFP28 Ethernet uplink ports.
|VOLTHA v1.1.1||Nov 16, 2017||N/A||Maintenance release focuses on bug fixes in preparation for AT&T POC IV / Field Trial|
|VOLTHA v1.2.0||Dec 21, 2017||VOLTHA v1.2.0 Release Notes||Minor release focuses on enhancements to ASFvOLT16 Adapter and support for T&W ONU|
|VOLTHA v1.2.1||March 16, 2018||VOLTHA v1.2.1 Release Notes||Patch release for CORD 5.0 integration, REGID support for ONU Registration and bug fixes.|
|VOLTHA v1.3||April 30, 2018||VOLTHA v1.3 Release Notes||Minor release: migration to Kubernetes, OpenOMCI|
|VOLTHA v1.4||July 22, 2018||To Be Released||Incorporate Celestica OLT adapter; Integration to CORD 6.0; OpenOLT introduction software package|
|VOLTHA v1.5||October 02, 2018||To Be Released||Open_LT: ONU Reboot, Limited Performance Monitoring Stats and Event/Alarm support. brcm_openOMCI_onu adapter|
2019 (in planning)
|To Be Released||Major release focuses on Containerized Adapters, restructure of vOLTHA Core, OpenOMCI, Technology Profiles|
|VOLTHA v2.1||In planning||Technology Profiles (port functionality from 1.x), multiple T-CONTs, whitebox OLT in-band management|
VOLTHA 2.x Release Roadmap (Target)